Part 1 Reflection
Include multiple artifacts to demonstrate the qualities below. (Put in first 2-pocket folder.)
- Forward thinking, as well as backward assessing
Part 2: Process
Include multiple artifacts to demonstrate the qualities in the chart below. (Put in second 2-pocket folder.)
- Quantity of artifacts shows engagement with process
- Quality of work shows a “good faith” effort: e.g. risk-taking, “get-and-give” attitude, openness, concentrated effort, work that’s more than perfunctory (“I’m doing the minimum I can get away with and only because it’s an assignment”)
- Meets deadlines: work done consistently on time.
Part 3: WOVE Products
(Put in third 2-pocket folder.)
3.1 Written compositions
Include at least 2 chosen from Comp 1-5 to demonstrate the qualities below.
- Involves reader early
- Gives clear sense of question, problem, or motivation behind the composition
- Establishes a clear relationship between the writer and situation
- Includes detailed examples to develop ideas
- Focuses on suitably narrowed subject
- Uses facts and other kinds of evidence responsibly
- Gives precise definitions of key terminology
- Has clear thesis/claim
- Structured to present an overall coherent argument
- Contains well-developed, unified, coherent paragraphs that avoid being rigidly formulaic
- Uses transitions within and between paragraphs to clarify logic and purpose of ideas
- Contains audience-oriented headings when appropriate
- Uses verbal expression (voice and language) suited to the audience and situation, including precise, meaningful wording; a preference for active, rather than passive and other “to be” verbs; and only purposeful repetition
- Adheres to appropriate usage, punctuation, and grammar conventions
- Shows careful proofreading and documenting
3.2.1 Oral Communication: Small-group work and group discussions
Include multiple artifacts to supplement instructor observation and to demonstrate the qualities below.
- Uses team thinking
- Listens actively
- Offers constructive comments, intelligent questions
- Recognizes other team members’ ideas
- Summarizes actions or issues at key decision points
- Helps develop productive procedures
- Uses motivating, non-threatening, directive, relationship-building language
- Exhibits clear, interested voice, gestures, facial expression, eye contact with team members
3.2.2 Oral Communication: Presentations
Include multiple artifacts to supplement instructor observation (and possibly videotaping) and to demonstrate the qualities below.
- Shows a clear purpose
- Uses an appropriate level of formality
- Considers audience needs
- Includes substantive, worthwhile, audience-oriented content
- Creates clear logic through use of introductions and conclusions, repetition, cueing, enumeration, etc.
- Maintains audience attention through language choices suited to the oral situation
- Shows attention to volume, gestures, eye contact, facial expression, posture, etc.
3.3 Visual Communication
Include 1 or more artifacts to demonstrate the qualities below.
- Creates a holistic visual impression to fit the situation
- Quickly communicates overall purpose
- Provides rich supporting detail
- Includes informative, relevant, reliable visuals
- Uses decorative and/or informational images as appropriate
- Has a meaningful title/heading
- Shows cultural sensitivity
- Creates clear visual patterns with purposeful variations
- Guides viewer eye movements through adherence to accepted design principles
- Uses visual chunking to match emphasis and function
- Maintains a consistent visual theme
- Achieves clear, purposeful foreground-background contrast
- Selects appropriate graphic style, typography, and color
- Documents sources
- Headings are logically and grammatically parallel
- Shows audience/user-based technical decisions about color, resolution, size, luminance, format, sharpness, etc.
- Crops images concisely and achieves a polished, professional-looking appearance
3.4 Electronic Communication
Include 1 or more artifacts to demonstrate either or both of the qualities below.
- Effective use of electronic communication mode
- Effective composing in the electronic mode